Come learn more about OV-4: Olympic Valley Community Wildfire Buffer Project on September 28th. Please visit the Fuels Reduction Projects page here to learn more. 

The District will reimburse the $120 administrative fee for Olympic Valley Garbage Customers that use Placer County’s interest-free loan program to purchase and install a bear box. Review the flyer to learn more here.

The District sponsors and supports FOUR programs to help Olympic Valley Residents comply with Defensible Space Requirements. Learn more here. 


Burn Ban / Permit



In effect during the Cal Fire burn suspension each year. Typically June-November each year.

Printable Fire Ban Flyer 


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is banned?
Residential campfires/bonfires that burn anything other than gas. BBQ’s that burn solid fuel like charcoal briquettes, wood or lump charcoal including the Big Green Egg type.


What is allowed?
Outdoor gas devices including campfires, gas fire pits, gas BBQ’s, pellet burning devices.

All indoor fireplaces, including wood and pellet-burning stoves and fireplaces.


Who is exempt?
Designated state and federal campgrounds/day-use picnic areas, private campgrounds and community picnic areas with a valid permit, outdoor special event/commercial cooking operations with a valid permit.

Will the ban start when Cal Fire announces outdoor burning suspension in our region?  
Typically, OVFD follows the CAL FIRE (Nevada-Yuba-Placer Unit) Burn Ban which often starts in June and ends after we receive significant moisture, usually in November. 

Can people use a briquette fuel based smoker at their home?
No, the issue being that there are briquettes used and there still exists a risk of improper disposal of charcoal remnants.

Can short-term rentals have residential campfires/bonfires or charcoal or wood BBQ's when the burn ban is not in effect?
No, short-term renters are not allowed to have wood burning or charcoal BBQ's or residential campfire regardless of the burn ban being in effect. 


Can people use a wood pellet fuel based BBQ/smoker (i.e.,Traeger)?
Yes, pellet burning devices are well contained and fully consumed to ash with no super-heated particles remaining that could start a fire after disposal.

Can people add wood shavings, like apple wood and other types you can buy for added flavoring, to a smoker or gas grill?
No, the addition of wood shavings will present a similar risk of incomplete combustion and improper disposal that can start a wildfire.


Would the district consider issuing briquette BBQ permits to individual residents, like the burn permit or the campfire permit the Forest Service issues?  
No, there is no logistical/financial way to inspect, issue, or enforce permits.


Will permits be issued for special events/commercial cooking that uses briquette/wood BBQ’s?
Permits may be issued at the discretion of the Fire Chief. The permit application is available here


Will there be additional fire restrictions during extreme wind, red flag, events?
Yes, as in the past, ALL open flames will be restricted during Red Flag days. No outdoor cooking, heating, or candles/torches!




When the burn ban is not in affect (typically winter and early spring) Residential Burn Permits and Campfire Permits are available directly through the CAL FIRE website.

A Residential Burn Permit is valid only on days which are determined “Permissible Burn Days” by the Placer County Air Pollution Control District, pursuant to Section 39298 of the Health and Safety Code. To check for Permissible Burn Day in Placer County call  (800) 998-2876 or visit Placer County Burn Day Information.