Collection of solid waste is provided weekly by Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal (TTSD).

Solid Waste Service Rates


Quick Links

Green Waste Days

Green Waste Dumpster Rebate


Solid Waste Administrative Code

Administrative Code, Chapter 3: Garbage Code

Solid Waste Billing and Fees

Billing for residential service is handled by the District through an agreement with Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal Company.  Commercial accounts are handled by the company directly.  Should you have any questions about your service contact the Olympic Valley Public Service District during regular business hours or contact TTSD at 530-583-0148 or

Frequently Asked Questions

  • When is pickup day?
  • What can I bring to the community dumpsters?
  • How do I recycle my Christmas tree?
  • What type of garbage can I put out?
  • How many garbage cans am I allowed per pickup?
  • Are there any special collection days for hazardous waste?
  • What about yard waste from defensible space cleanup?
  • What happens if I have a bear box or garbage can shed?
  • What about recycling?


When is pickup day?  Place garbage at the curbside by 6:30 a.m. on Monday mornings. If departing the Valley prior to that time, do not leave garbage at curbside because animals such as dogs, raccoons and bears may get into garbage. As needed, please deposit garbage in the community dumpsters located at the SVPSD offices at 1810 Squaw Valley Road.

What can I bring to the community dumpsters?  Garbage, cardboard and paper are accepted. DO NOT discard appliances, construction debris, or hazardous waste at this location. Make sure the garbage is placed completely inside the dumpster. Do not leave anything on the ground outside the dumpster. Close and securely lock. 

How do I recycle my Christmas tree?  Christmas trees are collected without charge on regular service days. Trees must be exposed to view.  Cut tree into four foot sections, remove any foreign matter. Flocked trees and artificial trees are not recyclable and will not be picked up.

What type of garbage can I put out?   TTSD will only pick up household waste or blue bag recycled goods from a residence. If you have construction debris, green waste, or appliances that you wish to have picked up, contact TTSD for special disposal and fees. 

Hazardous waste items including paints, insecticides, anti-freeze, oil, solvents, batteries, and cleansers are not permitted and will not be collected. Please do not take these items to the public bins. Contact TTSD for special disposal. 

How many garbage cans am I allowed per pickup? The maximum number of cans allowed per pickup is four, properly sealed, 32-gallon cans. Cans or bags must not weigh in excess of sixty pounds. All cans must be in a visible, easily accessible area within ten feet of the County roadway.  TTSD will not enter residences to collect garbage.

Are there any special collection days for hazardous waste?  Hazardous waste collection is scheduled by Placer County and TTSD on selected days during the year. Please check their website for collection dates.  

Appointments for hazardous waste disposal:  Disposal of all hazardous waste must be scheduled by appointment through the Eastern Regional Landfill offices at (530) 583-0148. Commercial HazMat disposal days are on Fridays and require customer payment. Residential HazMat disposal days are on Saturdays and are free to residents on service. Customers please note that appointments are made to facilitate the safe processing of hazardous waste with as little wait as possible.  Please make every attempt to be punctual.  

Limits:   IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING COMMERCIAL HAZMAT WASTE: The Eastern Regional Landfill is limited to SMALL QUANTITY GENERATORS. To be considered a Small Quantity Generator, it can produce no more than 2000 lbs. of hazardous waste each year. Transportation is legally limited (DOT regulations) to 27 gallons or 220 lbs per trip, without a permit. This differs from the residential household hazardous waste program limit of 15 gallons or 125 lbs., as allowed by the County.

Restrictions:  All Commercial & Residential customers are subject to the following restrictions:

  • Residential 15 gallons or 125 lbs. container size, per Placer County restrictions.
  • Commercial 27 gallons or 220 lbs. container size, per DOT regulations. BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
  • Waste must be sealed. 
  • Waste should preferably be in original container.
  • Do not combine wastes. 
  • Use boxes or crates to transport wastes.  
  • Do not travel with open waste containers. 
  • No ammunition. 
  • No medical wastes.  
  • No radioactive wastes. 
  • No explosives. 
  • Proof of residency may be required.

What about yard waste from defensible space cleanup?  A Fire Safety Day is scheduled annually in early summer at 305 Squaw Valley Road.  Please contact the District or Fire Department for the specific date. OLYMPIC VALLEY RESIDENTS ONLY; NO COMMERCIAL CUSTOMERS PLEASE. You must bring your non-commercial inert yard waste to the collection site and unload it yourself.  A maximum of three yards (approx. 20 bags) per trip will be accepted. Materials are limited to vegetation only: tree limbs, brush, yard trimmings, pine needles, dead leaves, dry grass - no more than four feet in length and no more than four inches in diameter.  No stumps, rocks, hot ashes, or regular garbage.

What happens if I have a bear box or garbage can shed? Bear boxes and can sheds are encouraged in the Valley because it protects our wild life and keeps the neighborhoods clean.  Installation of the boxes should be no more than 20 feet from the curbside.  Boxes built at greater distances will cause the collection company to bill you special trip charges for collecting your garbage.  All boxes will be checked for garbage each week so you do not need to leave the garbage outside. TTSD will gladly answer any questions you have in regard to placement, vendors, or construction of sheds.  

What about recycling?  TTSD offers a convenient Curbside Blue Bag Recycling Program in which special blue bags, containing dry, clean recyclable materials will be collected free of charge. Blue bags, which may be purchased locally (grocery or hardware stores) are collected and later processed at the Eastern Regional Material Recovery Facility. Participation in the program assists in the efficient diversion of recyclable goods from the solid waste stream. 

Acceptable recyclable materials:        

  • Magazines & newspaper                     
  • Plastic containers: #1 & #2 only          
  • Glass containers                                  
  • Aluminum cans, Bi-metal cans, fruit and vegetable "tin" cans.

NOT Acceptable materials:

  • Aluminum Foil or pie tins
  • Grocery bags, Rx bottles
  • Ceramics, crystal, windows
  • Wax plastic coated cartons

If you have any questions about this program please call TTSD (530) 583-0148. 

Click here for the website - Tahoe Truckee Sierra Disposal Company, Inc.